Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Nottingham's Angel's Mass

  Ever since my childhood Angel' s Mass at midnight on Christmas morning has always been a favorite of mine. It has  always brought peace and comfort to me.

  This Angels Mass was my first in Nottingham and in a way with Sir Guy. I say in a way because the circumstances were unexpected and tragic.

  After fasting all day, for that is the custom, I went to St. Mary's church for The Angel' s Mass. It felt beautifully calm and peaceful especially when the traits chanting Mass.



  Then in the middle of Mass I heard,and I suppose everyone heard, a familiar sound... the heavy ,booted footsteps with Arab prick spurs, that were gotten in the Crusade, of Sir Guy of Gisborne. With my heart in my throat mist of tears in my eye I knew what it meant. It meant that Sir Guy was coming to spend Christmas the only way that he could with me in plain sight yet in secret. Even after what took place my heart speeds up at the memory of how I felt at the time when I thought Sir Guy was coming to spend Christmas with me.

Arab prick spur

  What did happen? It is a sorrowful tale that has left me embarrassed, ashamed and hurt. It is the reason as to why it has taken me a long time to write about. Yes it was my beloved Sir Guy and I was ready to leap into his arms at the first sight of him. I would have had I not had the sudden clarity of the situation and the people we were among. But Guy was not alone. Not alone at all. For he and the other Black Knights had accompanied the Sheriff to St. Mary's and not for contrition but to pillage the church and worshipers of what little finery they had. We had. Yes, I was robbed as well... and by my beloved.

  I was standing in the back of the church trying to blend into shadows of the church with some others that were also frightened, hoping that we would not be heard or seen. Alas, it was not meant to be. Two of the Black Knights found us and started to viciously beat and rob some of those that were close to me. Never have I ever felt helpless, especially when one of the Black Knights came to me yelling and raising his hand to me. It is when I am on the ground and having my dress torn as he is all but trying to cut my finger off that held Guy's ring that I must have screamed for the next thing I remember is a black glove going around my assailant's throat and his eyes bulging and his being thrown across the church. Sir Guy was snarling and breathing hard after my assailant as if he was wanted to spill the assailant's blood all though St. Mary's. I was gathering myself together, ready to go to Sir Guy and not caring about the consequences, when Vaisey yelled at Sir Guy to get back to robbing the worshipers, starting with me and if Guy did not do as he was ordered Vaisey would rob me himself. The thought of the sheriff anywhere near me terrified me because he could always take me prisoner, throw me in the dungeon and sell me to the highest bidder, if he did not execute me for fun first.

  Guy was looking at me with a smirk on his mouth and sadness in his eyes and we both knew what had to be done. So I helped Guy rob me. I robbed myself. So without an option, Guy put his gloved hand on my left wrist and roughly took his ring off my finger. I wanted to kiss my ring one last time but he would not let that happen. Guy looked at me with an unreadable look on his face.



 


  That is when something broke in me. It was my heart. I died or at least a part of me died at Angel's Mass. The look that Guy had I do not think I will ever be over that. It will haunt me for eternity. 

  Excuse me I was lost in thought. Anyway, I had fallen to my knees and covered my face and savagely wept. With the sheriff looking on in evil glee, Guy and the Black Knights finished robbing the church and worshipers, with some beatings thrown in for good measure, and left. We were left there in sobbing heaps everywhere when a kindly looking friar, who seemed to have been beaten worse than any of the other friars, began play 'Novo Profusio Gaudio'.  We tried to sing or feel reverence but our hearts were not in it after what had happened. Dieu nous pardonne. God forgive us.


3 comments:

CassiaDeWarren said...

The ring is (was) beautiful and Sir Guy is a bastard.
I hope some twist could happen and you can have your ring back, but this doesn't change the nastiness of this episode in the church.

Lady M of Gisborne said...

That is another story which I will write later.

Anonymous said...

I am horrified at this! Sir Guy, how could you